Release date?

Oct 14, 2019 - 5:00 PM

• Do we have an approximate release date for these kits?

I understand from seeing comments around that there will be one more FreckleShack order before this new kit but want to get an idea on how long I will need to wait for the V3.

Will be ordering 4 or 5 kits when you do release them 👍

• We're still testing various FPGAs to keep the price low. This means pcb revisions, then we wait for them, assemble and test.

Honestly, we're having second thoughts borrowing cash against our home to fund the first batch of new kits. With China copying everyone's work it's risky and unsettling. If we feel the risk is too high, we'll abandon the project completely.

PayPal has placed a 60day hold on all payments as they deemed us high risk due to the length between orders and delivery. Mostly because we allowed pre orders. This means pre ordering won't give us any capital to fund this project and it'll be all on us.

Sorry for the long answer to a simple question. We like to be as transparent as possible.

• What about a kickstarter? That would give you funds if you hit the required goal, I think.

• I don't know much about kickstarter or indigogo, what immediately comes to mind is scams and failed promises. Plus that would require us showing our prototypes which is not something we're planning on until they're just about ready to ship.

• that makes sense. hiding the final product will definitely delay or impact a clone.

• I don’t know much about Kickstarter either but you have such a good reputation that I’m sure you’d be oversubscribed. Even just preorders on your site- I know I’d buy some! Hang in there and let us know how we can help!

• Thanks @vital15

• Well I sincerely hope that this does go through. Would absolutely love to have a backlit OEM size screen!

• Hi Ben. Just read through your Paypal issues. Did a little research on some potential solutions for you. One way Paypal recommends mitigating them flagging you as high risk is that for pre-orders which are expected to take longer than 20 days to fulfill, charge a materials holding fee and then another shipping fee to have them ship once they're ready. I've seen that they are also willing to release funds collected via pre-order if you show proof that it's going to a supplier. No idea if these tips will ultimately help you or just create a bigger mess. It sucks that you're running into these road blocks and I'd love to help in any way that I can.

• @robertdennis Thanks for the tip. We've tried to get in touch with them a few times and they say they can't re-evaluate until 60days has elapsed from the last assessment. I think we'll try Swipe as a credit card payment service. A lot of people are a bit hesitant putting the CC details onto a webpage though. Maybe our reputation could help here. It's a tricky one, we need to volume to keep prices down and to stay ahead of not just competition but Clones.

• A Kickstarter could work in this case. I don't think you would need to show the complete prototype, you would just need to show it working. If you could put together one complete Gameboy Pocket as your prototype, showing the screen is in fact back lit and the size you are advertising (maybe by showing it next to a Freckleshack 2.2 or 2.5) then that should be enough for most to invest in... especially those of us that already know your work and are currently willing to throw money at you sight unseen for this mod. As for tiers and targets, set your target at how many you sell in a single batch at a price that gives you a profit. You could have two tiers. Tier 1 could be for those that just want to send a little cash your way to help out the company and tier 2 could be the full cost of the unit for one unit. I would say a second tier for those that want more than one but there are many of us that want one and if it all sells out quickly then I personally do not want to pay scalper pricing to get my hands on one. LOL

• Oh the pocket kit will be going ahead regardless, it is the full size color kit that will have a significant investment to get it into store

• @bennvenn Glad to hear it on the Pocket kit. I am looking forward to that one.

• @bennvenn The Pocket Kit will be full size like the upcoming GBC too? And in other hand, I already have the Freckle Shacks so for the newer kit nothing will work? I mean, I will need to remove my kit entirely or just the screen? Thanks!

• Ben, don't worry, I will buy with credit card as all the people who knows you and love your work. I know that can be a little scary at the beginning, but everyone knows your product and your awesome after sale help! You rock dude!

• For the record, though not necessarily for this particular item, I’m perfectly willing to use credit card, or even kickstarter/indiegogo.

You have a good reputation, and I’ve been happy with what I’ve bought so far. Plus I’m used to long wait times on small market electronics. Hell I waited nearly a year and a half for the neo geo pocket flash cart.

Looking forward to the pocket screen (mine has a... smudge?) and hoping for a full sized ngpc screen. I’ll be ordering/pre-ordering both.

Maybe a el-cheapo v3 too.

This post was edited Oct 23, 2019 08:52PM
  • FYI I too am perfectly willing to use a credit or debit card to preorder something directly from your site - you have a solid reputation and I think you've delivered more than enough products prior to know to cement your reputation as not a scam

• So ... do we have a date or way to make a reservation?

This post was edited Oct 29, 2019 05:22AM
  • Just adding my willingness to use other payment/management methods.

Credit card, Kickstarter etc.

I'm not worried about seeing a working prototype, I know you're good for it :)

• I’m definately interested in this upgrade once it is available!