New Drop In LCD Question

Oct 6, 2019 - 4:26 PM

• I have seen a video posted on The Retro Future for a Chinese LCD replacement for the Gameboy Pocket and it got me wondering about the upcoming BennVenn option. In the video two wires were required to install the screen even though the eBay link for the Chinese mod states No need to cut the shell, the motherboard not need any welding, do not let your beloved machine hurt. Will the BennVenn option also require some soldering or will it be a true no solder option.?

• No idea but I do hope bennvenns will be slightly bigger than the one from the retro future. It doesn't look awful but it looks a bit odd inside the gbp.

• The LCD in that video is the same LCD on the Freckle Shack, McWill, Midwest Embedded, and “China” Game Boy Color backlit LCD solutions... just the display board is different across all of them, the one you mention is made to mod a Game Boy Pocket... never mind the LCD is a full 6mm smaller than the stock Pocket display.

The trick is that for the same money you could mod a Game Boy Color and run both the Game Boy and Game Boy Color libraries of games... the modified Pocket will only ever be able to play Game Boy games.

The mod for the Pocket personally doesn’t make any sense to me.

Last I had heard was that the BennVenn drop-in Pocket LCD solution would not be backlit, but that could have changed in the past months of planning since that info.

This post was edited Oct 7, 2019 05:47PM
  • Oh yeah... I’m also excited for the upcoming Pocket display!

This post was edited Oct 7, 2019 05:48PM
  • It'll be drop in and the exact same image size as the original pocket LCD. We've had custom backlight panels produced too so now everything will be included in the kit, no soldering required.

We were discussing the idea of a freckleshack LCD in a pocket a few months ago on reddit and FB, we thought it was far too small and too high power consumption so we didn't develop it further.

• Ben, that is news to my ears... I can't wait for this to come out. While I do love my Freckle Shacked GBC, I do like the pocket as well.

• I have two pocket consoles with borked screens, and I would love for them to be functional consoles again, so I am VERY eager for the GBP screen kits. Even though I have multiple GBA consoles, including the gamecube/gameboy player running the Game Boy Interface homebrew. This is about conservation!

• @dustinhamilton For me, I have a GBC for colour games. But I absolutely love the look and feel of the GBP more than any other GB. So I'd love a better screen. I get nostalgia for it too, because everyone at primary school had DMG's and this one kid had a pocket so it was just the coolest thing to see what at the time was an impossibly tiny GB.

• @bennvenn is there any estimate on when it'll be available and price?

• Factory says 4-6 weeks for the LCDs to be finished. We're expecting a sale price of $30 for pocket, $40 for dmg. Both include backlight and ribbon adaptor circuit. Dmg has a complete new front pcb too.

• @bennvenn that sounds great I'll be buying a few for sure.

• Absolutely stoked for this, it’s going to be fantastic to no longer have to kill GBP screens - just save them aside for refitting later if we want to go back!

@bennvenn Have a couple questions - Will it be possible to control the brightness down to a very low value? I play a lot at night and most current backlight kits are blinding haha. Also, will this require the 5v power converter mod like the backlights of old?

Cheers mate, cannot wait!

• What about the color palette of the dmg / pocket screen? the Chinese guy on YouTube had a video about the screen for dmg. with the ability to customize the palette.

• These screens are looking pretty good. Especially since I have bought a couple pockets that were quoted as Not working for no more than $10, with my most recent find being $2.94. I can replace the screens with these. Every one of them so far turn on and HAD a functioning screen in them, usually you can find them and they just need either a good clean or the power switch needs cleaned with some IPA and it's good to go. So for people wanting a cheap backlit pocket it might be a good route to buy one with a badly burnt screen or a screen that has bled and just replace it. Most likely the pocket motherboard will be fine. For about $40 total you have a backlit pocket, not bad.

• I'm just catching back up on this and happy to hear not only what they will be but also the price-points... wow... that's awesome.

I also get the nostalgia right now, just not for the Pocket with a full 6mm smaller display. That's just goofy to me... part of what I love about the Pocket is what feels like a large display on such a small device.

This post was edited Oct 14, 2019 06:05PM
  • Probably the main reason I prefer pocket over colour. The larger screen is nice.

• @bennvenn For the DMG drop-in, is there a spot on the replacement PCB we can tap into for power? I've started putting LEDs in some of my customs for light-up buttons and usually tap into the top PCB.

Really looking forward to these! I have a couple useless top PCBs from when I started modding and accidentally messed up the ribbon cable when removing the reflector, so this'll let me bring those bottoms back to life!

• We can add some pads for you

• Has anyone heard if the backlight that comes with the new LCD has any colors options or if pre-existing backlights from HandheldLegend, or RetroModding will also fit?

I have been trying to mod my pocket and have some issues with the pesky lcd ribbons. I already own red backlight to match my color scheme. Just wanted to see if this is plausible.

This post was edited Oct 21, 2019 02:27PM
  • Will you be able to choose the color of the screen? and with the DMG, will the board have a power LED like the original?